Anderson County Beekeepers Association
November 12, 2018
Anderson Federal Credit Union
100 Hanna Crossing, Anderson, SC 29621
Members in Attendance: 27
Meeting was called to order by Dave Miller, President. Opening Prayer was given by Wilson Wheeler.
Guest speakers were Chad and Kerri, who make candles and soaps for Bee Well Honey of Pickens.
They gave a very brief talk about how they process their wax for use in candle making as well other uses. Samples of their products were passed around for members to get an idea of items they use and make with beeswax.
Some key facts on the use of beeswax for candle making included:
- Melting point for beeswax is about 150 degrees
- Beeswax burns brighter than paraffin wax
- You can use old clean curtain sheers to filter the hot wax
- Beeswax contains no toxicity, while paraffin contains many toxins
- Beeswax neutralizes pollutants in the air, while paraffin adds pollutants
- The burning of candles is known to aid in stress relief
- Properly sized wicks must be used in conjunction with the candle size you’re making
Dave Miller gave a brief summary of his attendance of the SCBA meeting on November 2nd.
Anderson Civic Center was mentioned as a possible venue to hold future meetings.
The state wants to raise the membership fees from $10.00 to $15.00.
A honeybee specialty plate design for the SC DMV was voted on and will be offered at $10.00 PLUS the regular plate fees.
Newly revised By Laws were approved after motion was made, seconded and vote taken.
Christmas Party plans were discussed and decided upon. It will be held on the regular meeting date of December 10th at 6pm. A reminder with location address will be sent out via email.
Door prizes were handed out at the close of meeting. Thank you to all who donated.
Respectfully submitted by Renae Ausburn, Secretary