Anderson County Beekeepers
June 10, 2019
Anderson Federal Credit Union
100 Hanna Crossing, Anderson, SC 29621
Members in Attendance: 41 Visitors: 7
Meeting was called to order by Keith Raines, President
Eastern Apicultural Society 2019, July 15th-19th at Greenville Convention Center
Contact for questions is Lou Naylor at email@example.com
$25 to join
One day pass $70 per day
Short Course Only $180 (Mon.-Wed.)
3 day conference $180 (Mon.-Wed.)
Full week $260
Volunteers are needed!!!
Upcoming Local Events:
World Honey Bee Day Festival in Pickens
Saturday, August 17th at Bee Well Honey Farm
Speaker: Keith Raines
Topic: Extracting Honey and Q&A
• Reviewed how to use the club extractor, which is available for any club member to borrow.
• It has been modified to accept 6 shallow frames for radial extraction.
• When using 9 frames in your supers, you will get more more honey, as the bees have a
chance to draw the comb out further. This is made easier with the use of metal frame
• Do not allow wax into your drains. If you do rinse tools in your sinks, make sure to use a
fine mesh strainer for drains, as this will help catch any unwanted wax from clogging it.
• Before pouring honey up into jars, allow time for honey to settle and then remove foam
from top. You don’t want this in your final product.
• Always spin honey ASAP after removing from hives. Hive beetles can still ruin it.
• Honey absorbs moisture from the air. Make sure honey buckets are sealed tight if storing
for long periods.
• Consider doing mite checks (alcohol wash, sugar roll, etc.) treat if temps and conditions are
right. Whatever you use, follow treatment instructions!!!
• Make sure, if you are feeding, to close down hive to smallest entrance to prevent robbing.
Where to obtain gated honey buckets?
You can make your own, just make sure hole is cut to proper size.
What to do with wet frames after extraction?
Either put back on hives or place in apiary away from hives to allow bees to clean the frames.
Still no consensus on club buying jars in bulk. Joe Kelly sells pints with lids for $8.00 per case
Dave Miller will offer a practical this Saturday (June 15th) contact him at
firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Laurens Co. Beekeepers, in conjunction with Spartanburg, will be offering a Journeyman
Course in January or possibly spring of 2020. It will be held at Clemson Extension Office in
Facebook: Anderson County Beekeepers Association of SC
Door Prizes were handed out at the close of the meeting.
Eric Black won an extractor. Congratulations!
Next meeting, July 8, 2019
6:30 pm fellowship and refreshments, meeting at 7pm.
Respectfully Submitted by Renae Ausburn, Secretary
Anderson County Beekeepers